Archive for April 2009
Swine flu pandemic in Mexico and New York…here’s everything you need to know about the Pig Virus, Symptoms and Precautions.
Posted April 25, 2009on:
The recent outbreak of the Swine flu in Mexico and U.S. has had a few alarm bells ringing with Anne Schuchat, Director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, stating that the American cases were found to be made up of genetic fragments from four different flu viruses and viruses with this genetic makeup had not previously been found to be circulating in humans or pigs. Reuters reported that the total number of Swine flu cases in U.S. has totaled to 8 whereas the same pandemic has claimed as many as 60 lives in Mexico. CDC has stated that they presently do not have enough info to fully assess the health threat poised by this new and unusual strain of H1N1 Swine flu.
While everyone is looking to find what they can to be prepared for the Swine flu pandemic, I’ve found a few things that would help you know more about Swine flu.
Swine Flu: Symptoms and Conditions
Swine flu is different from the common cold in a few ways and it usually comes on suddenly, causing mild to severe illness and sometimes resulting in death. Swine flu symptoms are listed below:
* High Fever
* Sore throat
* Dry cough
* Extreme tiredness
* Muscle aches
* Stuffy or runny nose
* Loss of appetite
* Stomach symptoms including vomiting and diarrhea (both adult & children)
Precautions for Swine flu
* You can not get Swine flu from eating pork or pork products as the virus can not be transmitted by food. Any pork heated to 160°F while cooking is safe to be consumed.
* Human infection with Swine flu viruses are most likely when people either come in close proximity to infected pigs, such as livestock exhibits housing pigs at fairs or in pig barns. This can be further transferred human to human through sneezing or coughing of an infected person, much like common flu.
* CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment or prevention of Swine flu infection. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) that fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. For treatment, antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).
* People with Swine flu virus infection should be considered potentially contagious up to 7 days from the onset of the illness. Children, especially younger children, might remain contagious for longer periods.
* As there is no vaccine available right now to protect against Swine flu, readers are urged to follow these everyday steps to protect themselves:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
For more information, visit the official CDC Website
Here is an emergency update video on Swine flu
Post Source: CDC Official Website
With due regards to MSN India and timepassguru, I have finally found the freshest Cheerleader pictures from the second edition of IPL 2009.
Every single picture of the IPL Cheerleaders have been verified to be genuine and from this season. I had to go through a whole lot of crappy galleries full of old Cheelrleader pics to get these. Worth the effort i’d say. What about you?
My page would be duly updated as and when pictures arrive so keep it close. This is what all true IPL lovers have been waiting for…also check out two more gallery links after this gallery.
My two previous posts about Kristen and Jennie Dalton did not go down well with a few of my readers and i got some stick from them. So, as a writer not looking for sensationalism within a family story, i bring you what my readers said to shed some light on the truth.
My readers,who i believe are personally close to the Dalton family,had the sweetest things to say about Jennie and her daughters Kristen, Kenzie and Julia. One of my readers, Meranda said that she had gone to school with Boger/Dalton children in the small, southern town of Sanford, NC. She believed Jennie Boger Dalton was one of the sweetest women in North Carolina. I was informed that Jennie had set an example in the way she had raised her daughters. That both parents were beautiful people who had taught their children wonderful morals.
Michele, another follower, stated that the Dalton sisters were blessings to both Jennie Boger Dalton and her husband, Alan.
With my two previous posts, i had intended to question the truth behind the circumstances and my readers have surely done so for me. I will carry on my stand against exploitation of children by parents for meaningless beauty pageants. I hope you stand with me…
My previous two posts have some stunning pictures of Kristen, Kenzie and Julia Dalton along with Chad Michael Murray ( Kenzie’s fiance). I agree, they are beautiful, in every sense of the word!!
Discovery’s ‘Deadliest Catch’ uncovers the truth behind Katmai boat sinking…World audiences wait for exclusive Katmai footage !!!
Posted April 22, 2009on:
The story about the Katmai boat sinking is really tragic and viewers like me are extremely interested to know more about the ship that lost several crew-members to the sea, last October. Discovery‘s ‘Deadliest Catch‘ is going to examine the tragic incident of the sinking of Katmai and what really went wrong.There are hundreds of media hounds at the doorsteps of the Katmai survivors these days to get an ‘exclusive account’ of what really made the the fishing boat sink. It makes me feel repugnant as nobody was interested in the Katmai sinking till Discovery’s ‘Deadliest Catch’ suggested they’d be delving into the Katmai incident.
Viewers, like me, find it very easy to enjoy the sea on a television from home. We love the torrid sea thumping against the metallic walls of the ships and boats. Its a feeling of acceptance for what Mother Nature has in her arsenal. Stories of monstrous vessels like Titanic still evoke such strong feelings among television audiences. Sitting at home, we feel one with nature, her beauty and sometimes even her fury. We would dare not brave, the sea that the Katmai faced that day.
Fishermen, all across the world, have to brave such fears every single day as they look out to earn their bread. The perils they face at sea is exemplified by the Katmai sinking. It surely is one of the most dangerous jobs out there. Discovery’s ‘Deadliest Catch’ are believed to work on footage of the rescue and recovery, captured by one of the Discovery film crew. This has resulted in a media frenzy with everyone looking for a fresh take on the Katmai boat sinking.
I can hardly wait for ‘Deadliest Catch‘ to air as there are millions of viewers out there anxious to find out what really happened to the Katmai fishing ship on that fateful day.
According to an exclusive interview given to E-Online, Miranda Tozier Robbins has said she actually is a fan of the Spice Girls and not Britney Spears. I guess Scary spice is not the scariest thing about Spice Girls anymore.
She also said that she was just trying to prepare for a documentary near Britney’s residence when she was arrested. That was why she was carrying the camera and wearing camouflage clothes. Ya sure, in that case it’d be a while till someone sees Michael Moore. He,too, must be lying hidden in poisnous weed near some celebrity’s gun-weilding ranch-house.
Anyhow, i just have one thing to say to the Spice Girls. A reunion is probably not the best idea considering the circumstances as well as the fact that Miranda still owns those camouflage outfits. Who knows, which one of the Spice Girls would be the first to hear their plants sneeze!!
Posted April 21, 2009on:
This must be one of the funniest hijacking incidents in the world. I know hijacking is never a laughing matter. Not unless, you’ve got Harrison Ford fighting the Russians bare-fist but this recent hijacking of a Canadian charter jet in Montego Bay, Jamaica is a very funny episode. Here’s why.
Reason why Stephen Fray (the hijacker and with no relation to the band, The Fray even though he might already be singing “How to save a life” soon) is going to have a tough time explaining his crime in prison:
1) Reuters reported “A would-be hijacker surrendered to authorities on Monday after agreeing to free the last of more than 180 hostages”.
What exactly does the phrase “would-be hijacker” mean? Are the officials not going to count this hijacking? Is it a one-off for Stephen? He’s not getting married to hijacking, is he? Do people expect him to be a successful hijacker with more exposure? Do they expect him to hijack a plane again? Would he never get a window seat again for the rest of his life? My questions wait for their “would-be” answers…
2) Reuters reported “The suspect, armed with a .38-calibre revolver, surrendered peacefully to heavily armed police and soldiers who stormed the CanJet plane he had commandeered”
If Stephen Fry knew what he was doing, he would’ve got a bigger gun. Maybe even outsourced some of his work to Al-Qaeda or Taliban but hey, it’s trendy to be against outsourcing. This is what you get for being trendy. Let me reiterate the fact with some pictures.
With much pondering over both the pictures, I’m starting to get a feeling maybe Stephen was a bit short-handed. What do you say?
3) Jamaican Information Minister Daryl Vaz told CNN that “This is the case of a troubled young man. He definitely has had some mental challenges.”
He said that “Originally, his demands were to be flown to Cuba because the flight actually was going to Cuba and then back to Halifax. That really was his demand. Then, Fray had an apparent change of heart about flying to communist Cuba and changed his request to Europe.”
How do you explain that to your fellow mates in prison? “I couldn’t choose where I wanted to escape to; I had rest of the plan etched on my mind“!!!
Maybe they didn’t have a window seat on the flight to Cuba? It wasn’t like Cuba became communist when he was trying to hijack the plane. Make your mind up, Stephen.
4) Reuters reported that the Jamaican government had said that it would compensate passengers for cash or other valuables they forked over to the “would-be hijacker”, some in an apparent bid to win their safe release.
I’m sure if we get some footage of an on-board camera on the plane, we would see that it was actually Stephen who was ‘forking valuables‘ over to the passengers in exchange of some information on the best holiday spots in Europe…or was it Cuba…? Stephen might have even offered his .38 calibre revolver’ to someone who could tell him if Cuba was still communist or not?
We’ll be keeping track of Stephen Fray’s story for the weeks to come. I’m sure the lad is not going to disappoint. Wishing the ‘would-be hijacker‘ all the very best for the future. I’ll see you on the next flight to Cuba…No wait…Doh!!
Here are the ingredients Jeannie Dalton used to create hers.
1) Jeannine Dalton was born Jeannine Boger in February 1959.
2) Jeannine was Miss North Carolina USA in 1982 and her state’s representative at Miss USA the same year.
3) Jeannine is the mother of three ‘fabulous’ beauty queens (that sounds like your average American family, right?)
4) Her daughter, Kristen Dalton is in the limelight with her recent victory at the Miss USA 2009. Just like her mother, Kristen also won Miss North Carolina USA this year. That sure does her mother proud. (Wonder, how she would have fit in the family if she hadn’t won?)
5) Then Jeannine has Kenzie Dalton, who is a model and an upcoming actress. She has already chalked up appearances on television shows such as One Tree Hill. If that’s not enough for her mom to be proud, she is also engaged to Chad Michael Murray. (Well, who isn’t, right?)
6) Last but not the least; Jeannine has Julia Dalton, the youngest of three, who was Miss North Carolina Teen USA 2008 and also the second runner up at Miss Teen USA 2008. (I’d say, she’s well on her way to upkeep the Dalton legacy)
The recipe I see here is certainly one of a moral and social disaster. This is not your average American family. Does this not look like a family ‘manufacturing’ beauty queens? Do you think children deserve a childhood of vanity over innocence? Then, what stops us from doing something about it and creating more awareness. Let’s give every child a reason to smile for themselves, not for the cameras or judges.